The New Scotland
Around 1790 the cemetery started out as about half an acre of land to be used as a burial ground for the New Scotland Presbyterian Church. Gradually the cemetery expanded beyond the original fenced area.
The New Scotland Cemetery Association came into its own and was incorporated on July 3, 1860 as Listed in Grantor’s Index, Albany County Clerk’s Office. On April 12, 1866 the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church made an arrangement with the Cemetery Association – partly in gift and partly in sale, whereby the association secured title to the main part of the present cemetery grounds. Additional ground was purchased from the Church in March 1978 of approximately 200’ x 200’. In 1979 another section approximately 98’ x 189’ along South Road, just south of the original boundary, was donated to the Cemetery Association making a total of approximately 5.5 acres.
There are many descendants of New Scotland’s founding fathers along with soldiers from the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI, WWII and other more current wars or military actions and service members. A few other notable persons are US Congressman Samuel Dickson, New York’s 14th District House of Representatives from 1855 to 1857; Winfred Goldring, the first woman appointed as State Paleontologist in 1939 at New York State Museum; Col. James Hendrick, an Albany insurance broker and gentleman farmer, who received his title of Colonel because of service as an aide to NY Gov. Seymour. We are one of the older cemeteries in the area and have been placed on the NYS Historic Register along with the New Scotland Presbyterian Church. Operation of the cemetery continues to this day supervised by the New Scotland Cemetery Association, comprised of volunteer members from the community.
Co. Route 308 (County Rd 308)
Slingerlands, NY 12159
The Church is 2010 New Scotland Rd, Slingerlands, NY 12159;
The Cemetery is behind the Church.
Easiest entrance is from the Church yard – exiting onto Co. Route 308 (County Rd 308).